Wednesday, May 8, 2013

After the Rains

Well, after 9 straight days of heavy rain, I have spent two mornings, pulling away the rotting bits from all my new plantings. Proud to say I only lost 2 plants so far. The others see like they will recover.  Thanks to Jimmy drilling extra drainage holes in all my planters. Some things that were newly planted actually seem to have benefited from the cool weather and saturation of water.  The sweet bud? trees we found road side on a steep mountain edge, had completely died off, and I was afraid I would be sorry for bringing it home. But, after all that rain there are definite signs that it is once again green into the very extreme ends of the stems. No signs of leafing as of yet, but it will be one thing that the dense rain would benefit from. Jimmy says his wee little wild rose is much taller as well. So that is at least 2 reasons to be proud of the floods.  My oak leaf hydrangea, is looking like it died back as well, but I continue to hope it will be another recipient of the blessings.

I took pics of everything around the house, just because I like to see its progress from newest planting to taking hold to full blown hardy. I will need to fertilize before Saturday when it is supposed to rain a some again. I am afraid the amount of rain may have washed the nutrients from the soil.  Of course, everything that had flowers, no longer has flowers, or they are brown or spotted or something indicitive of too much water. But the buds that are appearing on almost everything, gives me hope they will recover. The violets we rescued on the clearance table for $2, which I pinched and allowed to dry from overwatering, are also recovering nicely inside on my morning sun window seal. The 2 orchids we bought to make corsages from actually are putting on new orchids and new shoots.  So proud they will continue to be a joy on the ledge above my sink under constant flourescent light.

As I type this, sitting at the table on my deck, I can hear so many birds, but occasionally am treated to a Great Crested Flycatcher and his mate.  They seem to be staying around, perhaps to nest...I hope. A baby house finch, which is unable to fly very high at this point, landed on Jimmy's shirt. It might be wise that I watch carefully for the neighborhood cats till his little family is stronger. Something happened to the baby Carolina Wrens, but the Chickadee nest that is in the hole in the tree just above eye level from the deck, see to be faring well. I expect to see them fledged any day.  I have vines that are almost consuming some of my trees, and although they aren't good for the trees, they make excelent cover for the fledging birds.

We moved the container gardens around a bit to better suit the rising and setting of the sun and how the leaves have filled in on the trees. Most of my plants will accept shade, but those that need some sun must be placed where they will get the most. One tag said, "Morning sun only." So upon checking some of the others I discovered at least 3 that prefered morning sun. So they went to the morning sun end of the bed. Those requiring more sun to the afternoon end of the bed. Already, I can see a difference in their brightness.  The columbine, some of which I bought near the end of it's bloom, has seed pods galore. I hope that doesn't mean they are difficult to get to come up. But this morning I discovered a handful of dry pods, with rattling pods.  I picked them with delight to put in envelopes with my collection of other seeds.  It is definitely time to get some of them into the tented potting bed, and see if I can come up with some plants. I especially want gourds, and the two tomatos Jimmy had me keep from last year.  My little pie pumpkins whose flesh was as good as pudding, never mind the pies, would be wonderful to have succeed.

My last thought is to say how much I have fallen in love with Verbena. A variety called Superverbena by Proven Winners has me wanting to collect every color.  My purple from last year, wintered through ice and snow, and 20 degree temps, up on my deck in a raised container! Given it was near the house, I suppose it was protected a bit, but even the ends of the vines that were completely covered in ice are in full bloom now. What is great, it didn't die back, but instead bloomed directly from the long lush vines. I have a peach one growing in one of my deck rail planters in hopes that it will become as lush and full to be showy next year from the road. Every time I see a different color I want it, but alas I only have two. A day may come however, that all my deck rail planters have nothing other than showy colors of verbena. It doesn't seem to root from the vines however, so I will have to determine how to divide it, or multiply the colors for more plantings. If all else fails, I will buy the plants! Eventually. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment