Friday, April 6, 2012

Baskets in the Trees

Jimmy loves Hanging Baskets in our Dogwood trees.  When the blooms die away they will become the feature.  They seem to do well there, because they are shaded from the harshest sun but get plenty of light.  I did find that we needed to move the fern to the tree furthest from the morning sun, because the exposute to open wind was less and it didn't dry out as fast:

The wire hanging basket is an old one I had.  Over the years I have collected several, and was determined to use them this year.  Finding the coconut liners to fit was a bit difficult.  There were plenty of small ones, so I had to buy two.  I hope it lasts several years because they were expensive.  I put a mix of sun loving flowers in it, hoping that in time they will spill over the sides.

Purchased preplanted and taking a chance on the weather...
The basket in the forground is an Angel Wing Begonia in various colors.  They are my favorite Begonias,  especially the dark leaved, double varieties.  They can be repropogated and are versatile.  It is a difficult to overwater them,  and they will survive in sun or shade.  Filtered light helps the blooms last longer.  These have had blooms that get over 3 inches wide!

Sunloving versus shade lover

We hung this very large basket which I repainted by a strong chain from a tree in the bird garden.  These are sun loving plants.  The one above is full of shade lovers and hangs under the deck stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment