Sunday, April 8, 2012

Making Vine Wreaths

Mostly Ivy, formed slightly square.

A tree limb fell from a dying tree during a wind storm earlier this year and brought down a large amount of ivy with it.  I thought I would take it and add some to it to weave a moderate wreath.  As it turns out, there was more than enough to make the wreath and with a little left over, I went about the house finding more vine needing to be cut away from hedges and shrubs, and made a secon one of mostly grapevine.  Then as I pulled back the vines that have overrun their bounds, of vinca and ivy and something hardy that my mother gave me, I discovered the short lengths made very good plate size wreaths.  It's fairly quick to do, and very easy, so I shall try to keep abreast of it throughout the summer and fall, and use the vine to constuct as many as I have leisurely hours to make.
Grapevine

To have them dry quickly, I could put them in the attic, but I am enjoying seeing them in the garden and they do add a bit of dressing to the wood pile.   I will like it very much when there are quite a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment